Nutrition & Lifestyle – November 2009
HG’s PERFECT PUMPKIN BREAD
Here’s a Fall/Halloween holiday appropriate recipe for Pumpkin Bread fromwww.hungrygirl.com. Please use the Hungry Girl website to check on calories of your favorite foods, restaurant foods, and find delicious health-conscientious recipes.
- One 15-oz. can pure pumpkin
- 1 & 1/4 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Original Egg Beaters®)
- 1/2 cup Splenda® No Calorie Sweetener (granulated)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (not packed)
- 1/4 cup Ocean Spray Craisins® Original Sweetened Dried Cranberries (or regular raisins), chopped
- 2 & 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 & 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, mix together pumpkin, egg substitute, and vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/3 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine both types of flour, Splenda®, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and pumpkin pie spice (in other words, all dry ingredients except for the Craisins® or raisins).
- In a medium bowl, mix together pumpkin, egg substitute, and vanilla extract (all the wet ingredients). Add this mixture to the bowl with the dry ingredients, and stir until just blended.
- Slowly sprinkle chopped Craisins® or raisins into the batter, making sure they don’t all stick together, and mix to distribute them.
- Spoon batter into a large loaf pan (about 9″ X 5″) sprayed with nonstick spray. Bake for about 50 minutes, until the top of the loaf is firm to the touch. (Bread may be moist inside. This doesn’t mean it’s undercooked.) Allow to cool, and then cut into 8 slices.
- Makes 8 servings
Serving Size: 1 (thick!) slice
To make this bread into MUFFINS, evenly distribute the batter among 8 cups of a muffin pan sprayed with nonstick spray. Cook for 35 minutes at 350 degrees, let cool, and enjoy!