Nutrition & Lifestyle – June 2010
SLOW COOKER BLACK BEAN & MUSHROOM CHILI*
Here’s a healthy, delicious evening meal or leftover for lunch. This Chili recipe includes black beans, mushrooms, tangy tomatillos, along with a variety of spices & chipotle peppers. This recipe is Diabetes Appropriate, Gluten-Free, High in Calcium, High in Fiber, High in Potassium, Low in Cholesterol and Low in Sodium.
Total Time Investment:
Prep: 25 minutes
Cook: Simmer 5 to 8 hours on HIGH in a 5 to 6 quart slow cooker.
Ingredients: (grocery list is a bit extensive, but worth it!)
- 1 pound of dried black beans (2 & ½ cups), rinsed
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup of mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons of chili powder
- 1 & ½ teaspoons of cumin seeds or ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon cardamom seeds or ground cardamom
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 pound of sliced mushrooms
- 8 ounces of tomatillos, husked, rinsed and coarsely chopped (usually small green tomatoes found in the produce section.
- ¼ cup of water
- 5 & ½ cups of mushroom or vegetable broth
- 1 6-ounce can of tomato paste
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of minced, canned Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (Ground Chipotle chile peppers are found in the specialty section of many grocery stores. Chipotle chiles in adobe sauce are dried, smoked jalapeno peppers packed in a flavorful sauce, usually found in the Mexican food isle of most grocery stores.)
- 1 & ¼ cups of grated Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack cheese
- ½ cup reduced-fat sour cream
- ½ cup of chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
Step 1: Soak beans overnight in 2 quarts of water.
**(Alternative to speeding up the “bean preparation” process)** Place beans and 2 quarts of water in a large pot. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let beans sit in the pot for 1 hour.
After either bean preparation, drain the beans while discarding the liquid.
Step 2: Combine the oil, mustard seeds, chili powder cumin and cardamom in a 5 to 6 quart Dutch oven. Place pan over high heat and stir until the spices sizzle (about 30 seconds). Add the onions, mushrooms, tomatillos and water. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are juicy (5 to 7 minutes). Uncover and stir often until the juices evaporate and the vegetables are lightly browned (10 to 15 minutes). Finally, add broth, tomato paste and chipotles. Mix well.
Step 3: Place the beans in a 5 to 6 quart slow cooker. Pour the hot vegetable mixture over the beans. Turn heat to “high”. Put the lid on the cooker, and cook until beans are creamy (5 to 6 hours).
Step 4: Garnish each serving with cheese, a dollop of sour cream, and a sprinkle of cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.
Makes 10 servings
*Slow Cooker Black Bean/Mushroom Chili recipe is fromwww.acefitness.org/healthyrecipes/947/slow-cooker-black-bean-mushroom-chili