Nutrition & Lifestyle – October 2009
Delicious Recipe for Health, Comfort & Convenience
BANANA CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
This recipe comes from Health Expert, Celebrity Chef Bethenny Frankel’s Collection. According to the Health Magazine article (August 2009), this is one of Susan Sarandon’s favorites! This recipe incorporates a yummy Fall/Winter comfort food with a healthy twist.
Preparation Time is 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Makes ~ 16 yummy cookies/Approximately 90 calories per cookie
- 1 cup Oak Flour
- ¾ cup old-fashioned Rolled Oats
- ½ teaspoon of Baking Powder
- ? teaspoon of Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon of Salt (or a tiny pinch less of refined sea salt)
- ½ cup of Raw Sugar
- ? cup of Canola Oil
- ? cup of plain Soy Milk
- ½ teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- ½ Ripe Banana
- ¼ cup of chopped Walnuts/Pecans (or slivered Almonds & 1/4 teaspoon of Almond extract)
- ? cup of semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine the first 6 ingredients thoroughly.
- Whisk together oil, soy milk, and vanilla in a separate bowl. Then add this wet mixture to the dry ingredients.
- Fold in the Banana, Nuts (or use the ¼ cup of slivered almonds and ½ teaspoon of almond extract), and Chocolate Chips.
- Scoop dough onto cookie sheet with a SMALL ice-cream scooper (remember, you want to get ~16 cookies from this recipe… larger cookies means increased calories per cookie and less cookies to eat.
- Baked ~25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow cookies to sit on cookie sheet for 5 minutes, before moving them to cool on a wire rack.
- You can add one tablespoon of ground flaxseed to batter (provides fiber and omega-3 Fatty acids). If you decide to add flaxseed, add ? of a tablespoon of water to wet ingredients.